A M U R I Z O N forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A M U R I Z O N forums

Online Roleplaying Community

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterAmurizon ArcadeLog in

His Dark Materials/Golden Compass? (no spoilers please haha)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Boomerwang
Admin
Boomerwang

Number of posts : 825
Registration date : 2008-01-13

Character
HP:
His Dark Materials/Golden Compass? (no spoilers please haha) Left_bar_bleue1/0His Dark Materials/Golden Compass? (no spoilers please haha) Empty_bar_bleue  (1/0)
Offense:
Defense:

His Dark Materials/Golden Compass? (no spoilers please haha) Empty
PostSubject: His Dark Materials/Golden Compass? (no spoilers please haha)   His Dark Materials/Golden Compass? (no spoilers please haha) EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 1:10 am

So Jack moved to California and all, and I think one of his former roommates one day just handed me His Dark Materials, saying it was Jack's. I'm pretty sure in the past I've seen him around the house with it, and since I've become the involuntary owner of it, I started leafing through Golden Compass.

Man, I forgot how fun reading for fun was!

I like it so far. I'm at the part where Lyra has just reached the North and encountered these small, savage bug-like spirit creatures/devices that are spying for that one woman. I'm pretty fascinated at the whole commentary behind the concept of the golden compass, interpretations of what is truth, and so on. I guess that's one thing with interpretation, though - you can go as deep as you want, regardless of the author's original intentions.

Back to top Go down
https://amurizon.rpg-board.net
MeNotHolgar

MeNotHolgar

Number of posts : 895
Registration date : 2008-01-29

Character
HP:
His Dark Materials/Golden Compass? (no spoilers please haha) Left_bar_bleue16/33His Dark Materials/Golden Compass? (no spoilers please haha) Empty_bar_bleue  (16/33)
Offense: Init +3, Melee/Range +8/+6
Defense: AC: Full 20/ Touch 13/ Flat Footed 17

PostSubject: Re: His Dark Materials/Golden Compass? (no spoilers please haha)   His Dark Materials/Golden Compass? (no spoilers please haha) EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 7:16 am

I enjoyed the books. I'm pretty sure both Ben and Alison have read them and I know that Laurie and I have. I won't talk too much about the books but the transition from the Golden Compass to the Subtle Knife and (whatever the other one is called) is pretty abrupt. It all ends up making sense, but there are certainly some "wtf is going on" moments at the beginning of the second book.
Back to top Go down
hikaritenchi

hikaritenchi

Number of posts : 286
Registration date : 2008-01-14

Character
HP:
His Dark Materials/Golden Compass? (no spoilers please haha) Left_bar_bleue-9/8His Dark Materials/Golden Compass? (no spoilers please haha) Empty_bar_bleue  (-9/8)
Offense: I+3 / M-1 / R+2
Defense: Full AC: [13], Touch AC: [12], Flat-footed AC: [11]

PostSubject: Re: His Dark Materials/Golden Compass? (no spoilers please haha)   His Dark Materials/Golden Compass? (no spoilers please haha) EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 8:11 pm

That's how I remember the 2nd book too. And Jerry, I have that same exact book. Haven't gotten around to reading the Amber Spyglass, though.
Back to top Go down
Snaphin

Number of posts : 305

Character
HP:
His Dark Materials/Golden Compass? (no spoilers please haha) Left_bar_bleue12/18His Dark Materials/Golden Compass? (no spoilers please haha) Empty_bar_bleue  (12/18)
Offense: Init +4; Melee +5; Ranged +6
Defense: AC 20; Touch AC 14; Flat footed AC 16;

PostSubject: Re: His Dark Materials/Golden Compass? (no spoilers please haha)   His Dark Materials/Golden Compass? (no spoilers please haha) EmptySat Sep 11, 2010 12:08 am

I have no clue what you all are talking about ... but it sounds like something I should pick up and read sometime.
Back to top Go down
Alterith

Alterith

Number of posts : 755
Registration date : 2008-01-30

Character
HP:
His Dark Materials/Golden Compass? (no spoilers please haha) Left_bar_bleue31/21His Dark Materials/Golden Compass? (no spoilers please haha) Empty_bar_bleue  (31/21)
Offense: Melee:+7, Range:+9
Defense: AC:18

PostSubject: Re: His Dark Materials/Golden Compass? (no spoilers please haha)   His Dark Materials/Golden Compass? (no spoilers please haha) EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 7:49 pm

It's an interesting series, yes, Alison and I have both read all 3 books. Kinda surprised they never did anymore with the movies, but I guess they ran into more heat than they expected. I did enjoy the first movie, though I know a lot of people weren't happy with it. I thought they were pretty true to the book without cutting out anything critical.
Back to top Go down
MeNotHolgar

MeNotHolgar

Character
HP:
His Dark Materials/Golden Compass? (no spoilers please haha) Left_bar_bleue16/33His Dark Materials/Golden Compass? (no spoilers please haha) Empty_bar_bleue  (16/33)

PostSubject: Re: His Dark Materials/Golden Compass? (no spoilers please haha)   His Dark Materials/Golden Compass? (no spoilers please haha) EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 8:44 pm

I thought the movie was pretty reasonable. Not a 10/10 interpretation, but still definitely enjoyable. I was curious how they would do some of the other stuff from the 2nd and 3rd book as it could have been really cool. The movie didn't do well enough at the box office and there was enough of a stink raised by idiots (JUST DON'T WATCH IT!) that it didn't get green-lit for any more movies.
Back to top Go down
Alterith

Alterith

Number of posts : 755
Registration date : 2008-01-30

Character
HP:
His Dark Materials/Golden Compass? (no spoilers please haha) Left_bar_bleue31/21His Dark Materials/Golden Compass? (no spoilers please haha) Empty_bar_bleue  (31/21)
Offense: Melee:+7, Range:+9
Defense: AC:18

PostSubject: Re: His Dark Materials/Golden Compass? (no spoilers please haha)   His Dark Materials/Golden Compass? (no spoilers please haha) EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 8:46 pm

I know, but still kinda sad, I was looking forward to it as I enjoyed the first one. I agree, not a 10/10, but still well worth watching. Idiots always come out of the woodwork to protest when they think they can get good attention.
Back to top Go down
Boomerwang
Admin
Boomerwang

Number of posts : 825
Registration date : 2008-01-13

Character
HP:
His Dark Materials/Golden Compass? (no spoilers please haha) Left_bar_bleue1/0His Dark Materials/Golden Compass? (no spoilers please haha) Empty_bar_bleue  (1/0)
Offense:
Defense:

PostSubject: Re: His Dark Materials/Golden Compass? (no spoilers please haha)   His Dark Materials/Golden Compass? (no spoilers please haha) EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 9:12 pm

Bummer (no more movies)! I'm excited to know that the one movie that came out was pretty consistent with the book. If that's the case... I'd be interested in seeing the scene where...

Spoiler:

So these daemons... are they an expression for a person's our spirit? Identity? Intellect? Soul? =O

Back to top Go down
https://amurizon.rpg-board.net
MeNotHolgar

MeNotHolgar

Character
HP:

PostSubject: Re: His Dark Materials/Golden Compass? (no spoilers please haha)   His Dark Materials/Golden Compass? (no spoilers please haha) EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 10:58 pm

Boomerwang wrote:
So these daemons... are they an expression for a person's our spirit? Identity? Intellect? Soul? =O

KEEP READING! This is addressed by the end of the series.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: His Dark Materials/Golden Compass? (no spoilers please haha)   His Dark Materials/Golden Compass? (no spoilers please haha) Empty

Back to top Go down

His Dark Materials/Golden Compass? (no spoilers please haha)
Page 1 of 1